Here’s our guide to camping in Whitby. There are several fantastic campsites in Whitby and the surrounding North Yorkshire Coast.
Thanks to the rugged North York Moors and the region’s stunning coastal bays, North Yorkshire is a fantastic destination for camping. Dramatic coastlines, wild moorlands, and walking trails combine to offer the perfect opportunity to ‘get away from it all’ and back to nature.
Families, couples, and solo travelers will be pleased to know that there are plenty of campsites in and around the Whitby region. From varied facilities to varied locations, you are sure to find one to suit you for your next holiday or short break to the wonderful North Yorkshire Coast. We have compiled a list of the best campsites in this handy Whitby camping guide.
York House Caravan Park & Camping
Set in 10 acres of North Yorkshire Moors, York House Caravan Park caters for caravans and motor homes as well as tents. The pitches at York House Caravan Park are mostly level, mown, and generous in size.
Great for walkers, you can reach Whitby, Robin Hood’s Bay, Ravenscar, and Scarborough via the old railway line which is just half a mile from the campsite itself. Especially great for families, there is plenty to do and see in the surrounding area, or you can choose to simply enjoy the serenity away from the hustle and bustle of daily life.
- Well-behaved pets are welcome.
- Good-sized pitches with community BBQs and patio areas.
- Modern toilet and shower block, with free hot water and showers.
- Washing-up area and laundry room.
- Most of the pitches have lovely views over the countryside.
- Most have electric hook-ups.
Camping Pods at York House Caravan Park
This site also has two types of camping pods, the York House Pod and the York House Family Pod. The York House Pod offers over 6m2 of floor space and can sleep a family of 4. The York House Family Pod offers over 9m2 of floor space and can sleep a family of 5.
Please note the pods are a replacement for a tent only and do not have any contents in them they are fitted with lights/double electric socket/oil filled radiator and carpet floors you will need to bring your camping equipment with you i.e air beds sleeping bags cooking equipment etc.
Address: Back Ln, Hawsker YO22 4LW
Book here: www.yorkhousecaravanpark.co.uk
Partridge Nest Camping Pods
The Camping Pods at Partridge Nest Farm are located only 1 mile from Sleights and from Grosmont in the North York Moors, and only 5 miles from Whitby.
The site has a shower house with two showers (with free hot water) and toilets and ‘Turvey’s’ which houses more toilets and basins with hot water, a washing up area, and a freezer for ice packs. There is also another outdoor washing-up area.
Bill’s Meadow and East Field, directly accessible from the pod area, are for guests to run around in, play outdoor games, or just to sit and contemplate the views of the valley (where the Grosmont to Whitby steam train runs frequently in season). In East Field, there is a communal campfire area so don’t forget the marshmallows!
- The Camping Pods are equipped with a picnic table, an instant barbecue stand, power, lighting, a heater, and a kettle.
- The Pods are lockable and secure with double glazed windows and doors.
- Each pod has a sofa bed (188cm x 114cm), you just need to bring your extra airbeds, bedding, towels, and camping gear.
- Each pod can sleep up to 4 adults (think as per a 4 person tent) or 2 adults and up to 3 children. The Posh Pod sleeps just 2 adults.
Book here: www.partridgenestpods.co.uk
Runswick Bay Caravan and Camping Park
The children and dog-friendly Runswick Bay Caravan and Camping Park boasts a spacious camping field with room for 15 pitches with electric hook-up and treats its visitors to breathtaking views inland across the North York Moors. Within the stumbling distance of the Jurassic coastline itself, campers can enjoy rock pooling and fossil hunting to their heart’s content.
Runswick Bay is a fantastic little village less than 9 miles north of Whitby and is particularly great for families thanks to the host of activities available along the coast as well as in the village itself.
Book here: www.runswickbaycaravanandcampingpark.co.uk
Alternatively, the peaceful and welcoming Serenity Camping offers, as the name suggests, a tranquil camping experience for visitors to Runswick Bay. Just one mile from the sandy beach itself, a mile from the seaside town of Staithes, and seven miles from Whitby, you could easily spend a long weekend or over a week here exploring all the area has to offer.
The site is dog-friendly, however asks that they be kept on a lead. There is no cycling on the site itself and Serenity Camping operates a ‘Peaceful Camping Policy’ for the enjoyment of all of its guests. Nature-lovers will be happy to see the efforts that this campsite has made to stay in tune with its natural surroundings and you are sure to meet their wild ducks and free-range chickens as they roam about during your stay! A true countryside experience.
- All touring pitches have a 10 amp electric hook-up.
- There are several 6 amp hook-up points available for tents (please book ahead as they are popular).
- The main facilities block is always clean and well maintained, with showers, sinks, toilets and lots of hot water.
- Disabled and family washroom along with an additional luxury self-contained wet-room and hair drying station with an additional plug for straighteners.
- Ample-sized indoor campers kitchen and laundry area complete with microwave, kettle, fridge, freezer for ice packs, and 3 washing up sinks.
- There is a Wi-Fi and information cabin that has sofas, magazines, maps, leaflets, and books for you to browse through and plan your days out. Wi-fi is available free of charge in the cabin, and phone charging is available at reception.
Rentals and Glamping at Serenity Camping
Serenity Camping also has the quaint Shepherd’s Hut, their Shepherds cottage, and Potting shed available to hire for anything from a 2-night stay to a longer holiday.
All accommodate 2 people comfortably, have outside sitting areas, and are pet friendly. Equipment is provided for basic self-catering with showers being taken in the communal washroom facility. Little extras like bed linen with towels can be provided on request to make your stay even more special. The shepherd’s Cottage and Potting Shed are set in private enclosures, ideal for pets off the lead.
Book here: www.serenitycamping.campmanager.com
Manor House Farm
Manor House Farm is a fabulously peaceful old dairy farm with no on-site bar or shop, that is renowned for offering tranquil camping facilities.
- Electric hook-ups.
- Toilet and shower block.
- Chemical toilet disposal.
- Washing up facilities.
- Wifi is available.
Located within a few minutes’ walk of the Cleveland Way, walkers can take their time walking north towards Whitby and beyond, or down towards Robin Hood’s Bay. Also close by is the disused railway between Whitby and Scarborough known as the Cinder Track. This is great for cycling and you can hire a bike locally to enjoy this interesting route at your leisure.
Address: Hawsker, North Yorkshire, YO22 4JZ
Book here: www.manorhousewhitby.co.uk
Bay Ness Farm
Situated just above the bay is the Bay Ness Farm campsite which gives some glorious panoramic sea and coastal views. The campsite is situated to the left of the farm buildings it has excellent facilities to cater for both tents and caravans and beautiful sea views across the bay.
- Showers and toilets.
- Washing-up facilities.
- Campsite Guide.
Another fantastic location for camping near Whitby is Robin Hood’s Bay – home to sandy, family-friendly beaches, coastal walks, countryside cycle paths, and plenty of activities for both couples and families to enjoy.
Address: Bayness, Robin Hoods Bay, YO22 4PJ
Book here: www.baynessfarm.co.uk
Middlewood Farm Holiday Park
Try Middlewood Farm Holiday Park and escape from everyday life and relax, with the simplicity of camping, in the glorious, tranquil surroundings of Robin Hood’s Bay, Whitby, North Yorkshire Coast, and the North York Moors National Park.
- Heating (early and late season)
- Showers and toilets.
- Private washing cubicles.
- Baby Changing Room.
- Electric shaver points.
- Hand and hair driers.
- Dishwashing area (undercover)
- Disabled facilities.
- Laundry with washer, dryer, and iron.
- Electric Hook-ups pitches require a standard 25-metre cable.
- Electric and non-electric tent pitches can be booked in advance online or by telephone.
- The Children’s Adventure Play Park is complete with a full safety surface.
- There is also a grass area for games available on the Holiday Park.
Middlewood Farm also offers a variety of glamping options including their unique glamping pods they provide a fantastic alternative for people who love the idea of camping but wish to be comfortable and cosy, no matter what the weather decides to do.
- Glamping Pods dome shape design gives you a spacious interior, allowing you to easily stand upright inside.
- Lockable doors giving you a greater sense of safety and security.
- Quality insulation inside the walls to keep you warm in winter, while a special foil layer under the roof helps keep summer temperatures in check.
- Beds with comfy mattresses to give you a good night’s sleep.
- Internal lighting.
- Electric heater for extra warmth.
- Microwave, kettle, and fridge are provided.
- Electric sockets for your low-wattage appliances.
- Covered porch area including bench seating to sit and relax.
- Storage underneath the porch seating for your muddy boots.
- Under 5 people (4 adults OR 2 adults and 3 children)
- Please bring your sleeping bags & pillows, towels, toiletries, cutlery, and crockery.
- All Glamping Pods have a picnic table provided but please bring outdoor chairs if you wish
- Gas stoves and BBQs must be used at a safe distance away from your cabin and decking.
Book here: www.middlewoodfarm.com
Humble Bee Farm
If tents or glamping pods aren’t quite up to your street or you are looking for something a little different, consider a trip to Humble Bee Farm. This working farm close to Whitby, Scarborough, and Filey offers pods and tent pitches as well as unique Bell Tents, Wigwam Cabins, and Nomadic Yurts for camping within its nature-filled fields, complete with cows, sheep, and crops!
Address: Flixton, Scarborough, YO11 3UJ
Book here: www.humblebeefarm.co.uk
Whichever style of camping you choose, it’s hard to find a better location than the North Yorks Moors and coast, with fascinating and colourful towns and villages, as well as a host of healthy outdoor activities for you and the family to enjoy. We hope you found our Whitby camping guide useful, if you have any feedback on these Whitby campsites please get in touch.