Whitby Boxing Day Dip; Only For The Brave!

The Whitby Boxing Day Dip. Are you brave enough to take a dip in the North Sea on boxing day each year?

Why not take part in the annual Whitby Boxing Day Dip? A fun family day out organised by the Whitby District Lions Club.

The Whitby Boxing Day Dip is a local tradition

It has become somewhat of a tradition in our beautiful little seaside town to enjoy a refreshing dip in the North Sea on Boxing Day morning. After all, what better way to cure your late festive blues than participating in this family-friendly outdoor charity event.

Free Whitby Mini Guide

Free Whitby Mini Guide

“Get the best from your stay in Whitby”
We have compiled everything you need to know about Whitby into a free mini-guide!
Download Now

The Boxing Day Dip is organised by the Whitby District Lions Club. This fun and frantic event has now been running for more than 45 years.

Over the past four decades, numbers have soared from a handful of brave local citizens to almost 200 eager dippers. Participants, known as ‘dippers’, travel from far and wide in a desperate frenzy to run into the wintery ice-cold waves of the North Sea. The Boxing Day Dip is an institution amongst the local community.

The Boxing Day Dip has become a traditional get together for local families. An opportunity to meet up and shoot the breeze after the frivolities of Christmas in Whitby. Perhaps, unsurprisingly, there are a greater number of spectators than there are dippers.

Enthusiastic armchair dippers lend their support in droves as the hardcore ice warriors dive in to the freezing cut.

The fancy dress competition is a sure highlight of the morning's proceedings. Winners are announced from 10 am at the Bandstand – not to be missed!

Whitby's boxing day dip

Raising money for charity

The intention is of course that the participants of the Boxing Day Dip get sponsored. 80% of funds raised are donated to the charity of the participants choice. The remaining 20% goes to the many local charities which are supported by Whitby District Lions each year.

Collecting sponsorship for taking part is a great opportunity to raise money for the special charities close to your heart. It’s a great way to say thank you to the staff of the organisations for their efforts and support during the year. When the weather outside is frightful, does a dip in the sea sound delightful?

Each year the event raises north of £10,000 for local charities and good causes. It’s a fine way for the community to show their support.

How to take part in the Whitby Boxing Day Dip

The Whitby Boxing Day Dip kicks off at 10 am on Boxing Day morning, with registration and fancy-dress judging taking place at the Bandstand, followed by a casual jog into the sea.

Registration forms are available from The Whitby Pet Shop (15 Station Square, Whitby, YO21 1DU) or please contact the Whitby District Lion's Club on Facebook for the most up to date information for each event.

Dippers must be registered to be covered by the event insurance.

Whitby Lions would like to thank the St Johns Ambulance Service and Whitby Diving Club for providing safety and medical cover and also to Esk Valley Coaches.

Leave a Comment